Call Us Today For A Free Quote | 866.940.1101
Professionals Insuring Professionals

Selling PracticeAccountant called wanting to know how to make sure that she had insurance coverage for her past acts once she sells her practice.

All Accountant E&O policies sold in the US are written on a claims-made basis.  In essence, once your Travelers Insurance Policy is canceled so is your coverage for past acts.   The Travelers policy does provide for purchasing an Extended Reporting Period Endorsement (ERP) to protect your past acts.  I have attached the page from your policy that deals with these provisions.  Please note that you have 60 days to request and pay for an ERP from the termination date of coverage. 

The cost of an ERP is on Item 8 of your declarations page per the attached:


Additional Premium Percentage:       Additional Mo

125%                                                    12

185%                                                    24

200%                                                    36

250%                                                    60

300%                                                    Unlimited

Your annual premium is $500.  So for example the cost of an unlimited ERP is 3 times your annual premium or $1500.00.  The total cost of the ERP must be paid in full prior to the end of the 60 days after termination.  It cannot be financed or put on a direct bill program.  ERPs must be purchased from the insurer that has the coverage inforce prior to termination.

Once you become an independent contractor for the buyer, the buyer will be responsible for providing insurance coverage for you. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.  Good Luck with your future endeavors.

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version
Quick Contact
We love referrals! And thank you even more for your continued business.
Customer Service
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website.
Join Our Newsletter
Stay in touch with the latest events, news and offers we have.
From Our Blog From Our Customers
Read More Read More
Stay In Touch With Us Helpful Site Links Read the News
Sign up now to receive new and updates Stay up-to-date with the latest industry, community and agency news through our newscenter. We also provide handy hints on how to save on your insurance.

Read More
We have the expertise to find you the right coverage at the right price 
Powered by Insurance Website Builder